Friday, October 13, 2017

Fun Food Friday- Healthy Cookies- 10-13-17

Can you believe it, two weeks in a row of Fun Food Friday!! :) So I have a major sweet tooth. I'd go as far as saying I probably have a sugar addiction. As in, if I have a sweet treat, I don't stop at just one, I very well can eat three or four. So I try to not have sweet stuff in the house or if I do, I just don't even eat a little. But I do really enjoy having a little treat, so I searched the internet and found a recipe for healthy applesauce cookies that I tweaked a bit and oh my, they are really yummy. You don't even realized they don't have any sugar or bad stuff in them! And my kids love them!! So I figured I'd share them with you in case you want a treat that isn't so bad for you (of course it still would be good if I only ate one and not three or four, ha ha :)). And these can totally be adjusted for what you like. I love Craisins and peanuts, you could do dark chocolate chips, raisins, whatever kind of nut you want, whatever you have in the house. And if you don't want to use pumpkin you can just omit it and use 1 cup of applesauce. I think adding mashed bananas would be yummy as well.

Ingredients: Cinnamon, Pumpkin, Crasins, Coconut Oil, Applesauce, Baking Soda, Oats, Honey, Wheat Pastry Flour, Peanuts (and I forgot salt)

My lovely baking assistants! (Don't let Jonathan's face fool you, he was very excited to help :))

First, into a mixing bowl add 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce...

1/2 cup pumpkin

1/4 cup melted coconut oil...

1 egg...

and 1/3 cup honey

Mix until combined

Then add 1 cup of wheat pastry flour...

1 cup of oats...

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (he had to look at the camera and smile while adding it, made me very nervous that he was going to miss the bowl :))

1/2 teaspoon of salt...

and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
 
Mix until combined

Then crush 1 cup of peanuts

Of course they all needed to take a turn doing this

They were well crushed :)
 

Add the crushed peanuts along with 1 cup of Craisins

And once again mix until combined. At this point you need to put the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to give the whole grains time to absorb the liquids.

After 10 minutes scoop the dough onto baking sheets. The dough does not spread much during baking so don't worry about giving it enough room.

Bake at 325 degrees for 11-13 minutes. Allow to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes.
And then enjoy!!!

Healthy Cookies
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup pumpkin*
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup honey
1 cup uncooked oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup peanuts, crushed
1 cup Craisins

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl add applesauce, pumpkin, coconut oils, egg, and honey, mix until combined. Add the oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, mix until combined. Add crust peanuts and Craisins and stir. Refrigerate the dough for 10 minutes. Scoop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 11-13 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets.

*you can omit the pumpkin and just use 1 cup of applesauce instead
 

No comments:

Post a Comment