Friday, June 14, 2013

Fun Food Friday- "Wow Cookies"- Decorated Cookie Cake

 
I called them "Wow Cookies" because that's what Micah called them. :)  I never know what to get Steve for Father's Day.  He gets me my hanging basket for Mother's Day, but I just don't think he really wants flowers. :)  Steve loves cookies, so we decided we should make him a nice big cookie and I figured I'd make it my blog in case any of you are still trying to figure out what to give someone for Father's Day. :)  I love those big decorated cookies you can get at the mall, but they're not cheap, so I figured, why not just make one myself.  I still had some frosting left over but you can also just use store bought frosting and color it whatever colors you want.  So if you're looking for a fun gift idea for any occasion, a "Wow Cookie" is a great option. :)  You can use any cookie dough you like to make.  I found this chocolate chip cookie recipe a while back in a school cookbook and adjusted it a little and it has become my favorite, so that's the one I'll share with you. 

Ingredients: Butter, Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla, Salt, Baking Soda, Flour, Chocolate Chips, Frosting

In a mixer bowl add 1 cup of soften butter (2 sticks)...

1 cup of brown sugar...

and 1 cup of white sugar

and cream together till nice and smooth

Micah is a big fan of the butter/sugar mixture

add 2 eggs...
 
and 1 teaspoon vanilla...

and mix

then add 1 teaspoon of baking soda

and 1/2 teaspoon of salt

and turn the mixer on.  Then add 2 3/4 cups of flour

Once that is all combined add 2 cups of chocolate chips (one 12 ounce bag)

and mix until you get this delicious cookie dough
(Micah was very upset when I tried to put the cookie dough in the pan, he thought he was going to eat the entire bowl of dough :))

I used 8 inch pans, you can use whatever size you want (or have).  We decided to make two, one for Steve, one for Steve's dad.  However many you decide to make, line the pan with foil.  You want to make sure the foil is pressed all the way against the side, if there are creases the dough will get in between and the cookie will not have a smooth side.

Spray the foil generously with cooking spray

Put the cookie dough in the pan.  You do not need a thick layer, it rises quite a bit.  I find it easiest if I use a spatula sprayed with cooking spray to pat it down. 
Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes

If you have extra dough drop them on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes depending on how big you make them (mine turned out a little big)

Oh this boy cannot WAIT to bite into one of those!

Allow the "Wow cookie" to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then remove from the pan carefully by lifting the with the foil.

Once the cookie is cooled you can decorate it.  I use 10"cake boards to put them on, if you don't have any cake boards you can just use an upside down big paper plate.  Put some frosting on the plate...

And place the big cookie on top.  This prevents the cookie from accidentally falling off the board.  Micah was a big fan of my spinning cake plate.
 
And now the fun part- decorating.  If you don't have decorating tips you can just put the frosting in a sandwich bag and cut the corner whatever size you want and use that as your frosting bag.  And this is where you can get creative.  I'll just show you how I decorated, but you can do whatever you want.  I started with a little decoration around the edge. 

Then I took blue frosting and did squiggly lines over the white frosting.

Then green squiggly lines over the blue lines.

Write Happy Father's Day (or whatever occasion it's for), slap on some balloons, and you're good to go.

Micah was so excited to give his Daddy his "Wow cookie."  We gave it to him today so he wouldn't read about it on the blog before he got it :).  As soon as Steve walked in the door for lunch Micah said "Daddy, wow cookie!"  It was so cute.  So here Steve is with all his boys.  We also got to tell Daddy that we had nominated him for Father of the Year for our town's local newspaper and he won 3rd place!  He is a great Daddy!  Here was our nomination:
  
My daddy is the best daddy a little boy could ask for.  He plays with me pretty much from the moment he gets home from work until I go to bed.  We play ball, run around the house, build with blocks, play with cars, go on bike rides, he even takes me golfing and to the Whitecaps game.  I got two new little brothers this past year and my daddy has made me still feel very special and does an awesome job helping my mom with all of us boys all while caring for the church he ministers to.  I love my daddy!

Micah Bussis (for myself and my brothers-Jonathan and David)- written with the help of my mommy)
I hope you all have a wonderful Father's Day!
 
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 3/4 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips
 
Cream butter and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix.  Add baking soda and salt.  Turn mixer on low and add 3 cups of flour gradually.  Mix until combined.  Add chocolate chips and mix.  To make an 8 inch cookie, line 8 inch pan with foil, spray with cooking spray, put a thin layer of dough in the pan, and bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes.  For cookies drop on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I second that nomination! Steve has changed more diapers and fed more bottles than most dads during the past 8 months!....while still making his 2-year old feel like the center of his world. Not an easy task! Oh, and pastoring a church at the same time. Proud to call him my son-in-law! Happy Father's Day Steve!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these cookies on Saturday! They were delicious!! Robert seems to like them too :)

    ReplyDelete