Friday, October 11, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Chicken Strips

My best friend in high school HATED mayonnaise.  If she ordered something and didn't realize it came with mayonnaise and took a bite only to discover it had mayo in it, she would gag.  We all knew she hated mayo. :)  The first time I ever made these chicken strips was during my senior year and that night this friend came over to my house right before dinner.  My mom invited her to stay for dinner and I didn't know what to do because they were already in the oven and these chicken strips are coated with mayonnaise. :)  I told my mom I didn't think she would like them but my mom said to just not tell her they had mayo in them and see what happens.  And what happened was my friend couldn't get enough of them.  She even commented on how incredibly good they were (and I never did tell her what was in them).  So the moral of this story is even if you despise mayonnaise, you will still love these chicken strips. :)  You obviously don't taste the mayo, it just makes them incredibly moist.  And they are super easy to make.  And if your not a fan of Dijon mustard just omit that, it will still taste great!  Enjoy!
 
Ingredients: Boneless skinless chicken breast*, Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, Parmesan Cheese, Bread Crumbs
*You can also use chicken tenderloins, but it's usually a lot cheaper to just buy chicken breasts and cut them into strips

To a bowl add some mayonnaise...
(I used light, you can use whatever kind you want since you're not going to actually taste the mayonnaise anyways)

And Dijon Mustard...
(I like to use Dijonnaise by Hellman's because it's not as spicy)

And Parmesan cheese

Stir until all combined

In another bowl add bread crumbs...

And Parmesan Cheese

Stir until all combined

Cut the chicken breasts into strips
 
Dip the chicken strips in the mayo mixture...

And then the bread crumbs

Place in a greased pan
(I lined the pan with foil because I am not a fan of cleaning :))
 
Bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until the middle of a strip reaches 180 degrees
(if you don't have one of these meat thermometers I highly recommend getting one.  They aren't very expensive and they give you a peace of mind that your meat, especially chicken or pork, is fully cooked)

And there you go, yummy chicken strips with glazed carrots and loaded mashed potatoes
(For loaded mashed potatoes just make your normal mashed potatoes with warm milk and butter and then add bacon, cheese, sour cream and green onion and salt to taste-the cheese and bacon will add salt so you don't want to add too much salt- and mix until all combine.  They are delicious!)

And you would think that these would make a great kid's meal, and really they do, unless you have a very silly little guy like I do who thinks he doesn't like chicken even though he loves the frozen chicken nuggets.  :)  He wouldn't even try them.  Here he's showing me his plate with no chicken fingers. :)

Jonathan and David on the other hand were big fans of the chicken fingers :)
 
Chicken Strips
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS Dijon Mustard (if you're not a fan of Dijon mustard just omit)
4 TBS Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup bread crumbs
 
Combine mayo, mustard and 2 TBS parmesan cheese.  Combine bread crumbs and 2 TBS parmesan cheese.  Cut chicken into strips.  Dip the strips into the mayo mixture, then into the bread crumbs.  Place in a greased baking dish.  Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment