Friday, December 13, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Chicken Salad Pockets

I love chicken salad sandwiches but one day I decided I wanted to make a hot chicken salad and then I thought it'd be good so put in crescent rolls.  And this is what I came up with!  I find it quite delicious.  My mom and sister recently gave my sister-in-law a baby shower and they were looking for something easy but yummy to make and I suggested this.  However to make it easier instead of putting it in Crescent rolls they put them on Hawaiian Rolls, put those in a 9x13 pan, covered with foil and heated them up in the oven and I'm told that was quite delicious as well.  I have also put the extra chicken salad that didn't fit in the Crescent rolls in an oven-proof dish, topped with some more Fried Onions and used it as a dip with celery, also very yummy.  So this is a nice versatile recipe with great results!  So if you need an idea for a shower, a luncheon, or just a yummy dinner, here's one to try!
Ingredients: Shredded Chicken, Mayonnaise, Lemon Juice, Celery, Shredded Cheese (I used Colby-Jack), Slivered Almonds, Sour Cream, French Fried Onions, Salt & Pepper, Crescent Rolls (I used the seamless sheet ones)

To a bowl add 2 cups of shredded chicken...

1/2 cup chopped celery...

1/4 cup slivered almonds...

3/4 cup mayonnaise...

1/4 cup sour cream...

some salt...

and pepper to taste...

and 1 TBS lemon juice

Stir together until all combined

Then add 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used Colby-jack but cheddar would be good too)...

And mix it in

Finally add about 1/2 a cup of French Fried onions and mix together

If you can find the Seamless Dough Sheet definitely go with that one, it makes it much easier.  If your store doesn't have it, just get the regular Crescent rolls and pinch the seams together.

Roll out the dough...

And divide into 8 squares

Put about 1/4 a cup of chicken salad onto half the square...

Spread it out...

Then fold over diagonally...

And pinch to seal.  Do this for the rest of the square.  Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until the Crescent rolls are lightly golden

Even stuffing them pretty full I had some leftover chicken, so I just put it in a small baking dish and will heat at 350 for 20 minutes.  Then you can just eat it plain or with crackers or celery or whatever you heart desires :)

All done!

Chicken salad pockets and Mac 'N Cheese, what more could you ask for :)
 
 The twins were fans!  It has chicken in it so Micah of course wouldn't even try it :) His loss!



Chicken Salad Pockets
2 cups shredded chicken
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 TBS Lemon Juice
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 cup shredded cheese, Colby-Jack or Cheddar
1/2 cup French Fried Onions
1 tube Crescent Rolls (preferable the seamless ones)

Mix together all the ingredients except the Crescent Rolls.  Unroll the crescent roll and cut into 8 squares.  Put about 1/4 cup of chicken salad on one half of each square.  Fold diagonally (to form a triangle) and press down to seal.  Bake at 375 for 18 minutes or until the crescent rolls are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment