Friday, February 22, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Can't Leave Alone Bars

My good friend Steph introduced me to these amazing bars.  She also happened to be the one who introduced me to Steve :) and actually I met both these bars and Steve right around the same time. :)  They are called Can't Leave Alone Bars because seriously, if they are in front of you you just can't help but have another (I'm pretty sure the first time I had them, when Steph made them and brought them to a BBQ at Steve's seminary house, her and I ate at least half the pan :)).  When I worked at Providence Christian College I would make cookies twice a week for before chapel and these were definitely a favorite of the students.  They really are pretty easy to make, the only thing that takes a little time is smashing the batter for the top, but they are soooo worth it! :)  Enjoy!
 
 
Ingredients: French Vanilla Cake Mix, Oil (I use Canola Oil but you can also use Vegetable Oil), Eggs, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Butter, Chocolate Chips

Cut 1/4 cup butter into cubes and put in a microwave safe bowl

Add 1 cup of chocolate chips...

And a can of sweetened condensed milk

Microwave on high for 45 seconds, take out and stir, and continue microwaving at 30 second intervals until butter and chips are melted and it is nice and smooth

In a separate bowl add the cake mix...

2 eggs...

and 1/2 cup of Canola (or Vegetable) oil

Mix until thick batter forms

Divide the batter into 3rds.

Put 2/3 the batter into a greased 9x13 pan.  The batter is very sticky so you either need a very slick spatula or just spray your spatula with cooking spray.

Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the batter...

And smooth it out

Take chunks of the remaining batter and smash in your hand to cover the chocolate mixture.  Again, the batter is very sticky so I use a glove (or if I don't have any gloves in the house I just use a sandwich bag) and spray it with cooking spray to smash the batter.

It should look like this.  Notice it doesn't completely cover the top.

Then take a knife and make nice swirls through the batter

So it looks like this.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.  
The batter will still jiggle when shaken, but as it cools it will set.

And there they are, oh, they look so good.  Unfortunately they are for my husband to take on his service trip he's going on tomorrow so I don't get any.  I might just have to make another batch for me and my mom and sister to enjoy:).  One thing to note, you do need to let it cool for about an hour so the chocolate will set.  I know, a lesson in patience. :)
Thank you Steph for introducing me to these amazing bars...oh, and my husband. :) 
I love them both very much! :)
 
 
I figured especially for recipes like this it might be easier for you to actually have the recipe to copy instead of trying to write it from the blog, so here it is:
 
Can't Leave Alone Bars
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 pkg French Vanilla Cake Mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
 
In a microwave safe bowl, combine butter, chocolate chips and milk.  Microwave on high for 45 seconds.  Take out and stir well.  Continue to do this until chips and butter are melted.  Stir until smooth.  In another bowl combine cake mix, eggs and oil.  Press 2/3 of mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.  Pour chocolate mixture on top of dough in the pan (does not have to be cool).  With the remaining dough smash with greased hands and cover the chocolate mixture.  Take a knife and cut through the top dough to make swirls.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes until very lightly browned.  Let cool for an hour for chocolate to set. 
Then dig in and beware- these bars cannot be left alone. :)
 

2 comments:

  1. I forgot about these bars. They are great to eat. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Houston...halfway there - hope there is one left for me in a few hours! :-)

    ReplyDelete