Friday, September 6, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Fresh & Baked Blueberry Pie

I probably should have done this one a month or so ago when blueberries were just ready to be pick :), but if you an opportunity to grab some of the last bunches here in Michigan or if you can get ahold of some where ever you are, here are two great recipes for you.  Like the peach pie I did a couple of weeks ago, I have two for you here, a fresh one and a baked one that I put in the freezer (actually I made 4 to put in the freezer.  I have found that it's not all that much more work to make 4 as it is to make 1).  I got the fresh blueberry pie recipe from my mother-in-law and it's quick, easy, and so very delicious, just the way I like it. :)  When I was pregnant with the twins I had gestational diabetes and I found that if I made this pie with Splenda it still tasted great and as long as I had a slightly smaller piece it didn't effect my blood sugar all that much.  The only thing about blueberry pies is since blueberries are small, you do need quite a few to make a pie.  That's why it's great when you can buy a 5 pound box.  Costco also has bigger packages of blueberries than a grocery store.  So if you have some blueberries left over and are looking for a yummy way to use them, try one of these pies, you won't be disappointed :).

Fresh Blueberry Pie
Ingredients: Baked Pie Crust, Blueberries, Sugar, Salt, Corn Starch, Lemon Juice, Butter

To a medium saucepan add 2 cups of blueberries (make sure they are rinsed and have all the little stems off)...

3/4 cup of sugar...

3 Tablespoons of Corn Starch

1/4 teaspoon salt...
 
And 1/4 cup of water

Turn the heat on, around medium

You'll want to stir it occasionally

Until it gets thick like this.  Remove from the heat

Add 1 Tablespoon of butter..

And 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice

Stir until the butter is all melted

Add 2 more cups of blueberries

And stir

Pour into a baked pie crust

Spread it around so it's all even.

When ready to eat spread some Cool Whip on top and enjoy!
 
 
Baked Blueberry Pie (to make 4 pies I tripled the recipe and it gave me enough filling for 4)
Ingredients:  Blueberries, Flour, Sugar, Salt, Cinnamon, Butter, Lemon Juice, Pie Crust (2 per pie)

Clean all the blueberries and make sure the stems are off and place in a bowl

Sprinkle with lemon juice...

And stir around so they're all coated.  Set aside

I rolled out my pie crust the day before and stored them covered in the refrigerator.  So then all I had to do was place the pie tin on top...

Flip it over...

And peel off the wax paper

Now to the berries add sugar...

Flour...

Salt...

and cinnamon

Mix together until all the berries are coated

Pour berries into the pie crust

Dot with butter

Like my peach pies I weaved the top crust.  You just cute the pie crusts into strips
 
And weave it (forgot to take a picture while doing it for the blueberry pies so that's why there's all of the sudden peach in that pie :))

And there you have it, 4 pies all ready to go in the freezer to be enjoyed during the winter months when we don't have fresh fruit readily available.

I freeze them and then cover them with plastic wrap.  To make it easier when it comes time to bake them I remind myself to brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar (once it has thawed).  And then just bake it at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
 
 
Fresh Blueberry Pie
4 cups blueberries
3/4 cup sugar
3 TBS cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1 TBS butter
1 TBS Lemon juice
 
In a medium saucepan add 2 cups blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt and water.  Heat over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and lemon juice, stir until butter is melted.  Add remaining 2 cups of blueberries.  Pour into a baked pie crust.  Chill for at least 4 hours.  Top with cool whip.
 
Baked Blueberry Pie
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 TBS lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 TBS butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sugar
 
Sprinkle the berries with lemon juice; set aside.  Roll out one of the pie crusts and put in pie tin.  To the berries add 1 cup sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon, stir together until all the berries are coated.  Pour into pie crust and dot with butter.  Roll out second pie crust, cut into strips and weave over berries (or you can just put the second crust on top and cut slits to allow steam to escape).*  Brush top of the crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.  Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden.
 
*If freezing stop here and just cover and freeze.  Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar right before you bake it.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment