Friday, September 20, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Sloppy Joes

Growing up Sloppy Joes were not my favorite thing to eat.  I think my mom made them with ketchup, mustard and some water or something like that and I just wasn't a fan.  But then she started making them with tomato soup and brown sugar and I became a fan. :)  I love making Sloppy Joes because I just make a big batch and then I freeze them in zip-lock bags and I have a quick meal.  Sometimes Steve's parents will come to our Sunday night service and we like to then invite them over afterwards and that's easy to do when I have these in my freezer because they take about 5 minutes to thaw and then there you go, a yummy meal.  I have come to discover that different areas of the country call these different things.  In Michigan they call them Barbeque which I think is so funny because there's nothing barbeque about them. :)  And then even sillier, in Iowa they call them Taverns.  The only thing I can think of is they must have served them in Taverns?  Who knows.  But regardless of what you call them (although Steve will tell you that I say the correct thing to call them is Sloppy Joes :)), these are a very yummy way to make them.  And this is one of the few ways Micah will eat ground beef, so double bonus! :)
 
Ingredients: Ground Beef, Onion, White Vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, Tomato Soup, Chili Powder 

Fry up the ground beef

Along with a diced onion

Until nice and brown and the onions are clear.  Drain the meat.

Then add tomato soup...

Chili powder...

Worcestershire sauce...

Vinegar...

and brown Sugar...

Stir together until all combined.  Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes

I put it in two 9x13 pans to cool in the refrigerator

When it was all cooled I put 1/3 in a container for the next day and then the rest in 2 Ziploc bags for the freezer

Place the bags on a cookie sheet in the freezer so they freeze nice a flat making it easy to store and thaw when you need them

Micah enjoying his Sloppy Joes! :)


The twins even got to try some and were fans

Sloppy Joes (I tripled this recipe above, if you made just this amount it would serve about 3-4 people)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 can tomato soup
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 TBS White Vinegar
1/4 cup  Brown Sugar

Brown the ground beef in a skillet with the onion, drain.  Add tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and sugar.  Stir together until combined.  Simmer for about 10 minutes.  To freeze, allow to cool before placing in gallon freezer bags.  Lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet while freezing.

1 comment:

  1. So glad I discovered a new and improved way of making sloppy joes so you could enjoy them!! Wow...the first part of this blog had me feeling like such a failure but then you picked me up from the pit of despair and made me look good. Haha!! I do agree...love these sloppy joes!!!

    ReplyDelete