Friday, January 18, 2013

Fun Food Friday!- Taco Pie

I went to college in Northwest Iowa and one of my favorite places to go out to eat was Pizza Ranch.  My friends and I would go and get their buffet and absolutely stuff ourselves because we wanted to get our money's worth and then some. :)  My favorite pizza from there was a Taco Pizza.  This recipe reminds me a lot of Taco Pizza.  I got it out of our local Christian School's recipe book and it is delicious and super easy to make (so easy a 2 year old can help :)).  So here you go:
Today I had the cutest baking assistant around. :)  He loves putting on his Cars apron my mom made him and helping Mommy in the Kitchen.
The Ingredients: Ground Beef, Taco Seasoning, Green Pepper, Shredded Cheese (I used Colby Jack), Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips, Crescent Rolls

Start off by browning a pound of ground beef with some diced green peppers.  I also added some minced onions.  I would have added some diced onions which I think would taste so good, but my husband is not a fan of onions, so minced onions is our compromise. :)

Drain the beef.

Return the beef to the pan and add 1/2 cup of water.

Add 1/4 cup Taco Seasoning (which is how much is in a package of taco seasoning).

Mix it all together and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Separate the crescent triangles and arrange in a pie pan.

Two year olds are great at patting down the crescent rolls.

Form a crust.

Pour the meat mixture over the crust

Top with 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips (actually, the tortilla chips are supposed to go under the meat mixture, but Steve came home right at this moment and I poured the meat over the crust before remembering I was supposed to put the chips in first.  So... we put them on top of the meat and honestly, it tasted the same. :))

Spread 1 cup of sour cream over chips (or the meat if you put them in the correct order).  As you can see, fingers work fine for spreading.

And if you want, Micah thinks this is a great place to test how it's tasting.

Add some shredded cheese over the sour cream.

If you're feeling up to it, grab some of that cheese...

And put it in your mouth. :)

And top with some more crushed chips.

It's even more yummy to snoop when you have the chips on top.

I went to turn the oven on and turned back around and he was still snooping. :)  He must have decided that we had put more cheese and chips on than we needed.

While its baking at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes (until the cheese is melted and the crust is brown), chop up some lettuce and tomato and whatever else you want to put on top.

Taco Pie topped with lettuce, tomato and taco sauce, just like Taco Pizza from Pizza Ranch!

Food tastes so good when you had a hand in making it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment