Friday, March 1, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Chicken Bow Tie Pasta

I found this recipe in our local Christian school's cookbook.  I changed it up a little bit and have it say, it's mighty yummy. :)  I did one and a half recipes so I had enough for a freezer meal, so in the pictures I'll put the amount I used to add 1/2 to the recipe, but in the recipe below I'll put the normal amounts.  Hope that makes sense.  Enjoy!!!

Ingredients: Chicken, Butter, Onion, Chicken Broth, Chicken Bouillon Cubes, Sugar, Colby-Jack Cheese, Sour Cream, Flour, Bow Tie Pasta (aka Farfalle Pasta)

Cut about 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into cubes (I had very large chicken breasts, so that's why I only needed 5, 1 + 1/2 of the recipe would call for 6)

Cook 12 oz of bow tie (or farfalle) pasta in boiling water for about 10 minutes

Chop up 1 cup of onions

Add 1/2 cup of flour to a Ziploc bag

Add chicken to bag and shake until all the chicken is coated

In a large skillet (I used my big wok) melt 6 tablespoons of butter

Add onions...
 
and chicken

And cook until all the chicken is browned and cooked through.  It takes a while as there's a lot of chicken.  Just be patient and keep moving the chicken around so it doesn't burn and all gets browned.

Shred 12 ounces of Colby Jack cheese (or if you're lucky enough to have your sister visiting, see if she'll do it for you :)).

Drain the pasta... 

And return to big pot

Measure 1 cup of chicken broth...

and then I decided to also add 1/2 cup of milk and then I added a little more broth so I had about 14 ounces of liquid.
 
Add the liquid to the cooked chicken/onions

Add 3 chicken bouillon cubes...

and 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar

Cook for 5 minutes or until all the bouillon cubes are dissolved.  The liquid needs to be boiling in order for the cubes to dissolve, so make sure your heat is hot enough and that you keep stirring.

Once the cubes are dissolved, add the Colby Jack cheese and stir until it's melted...

Then add 3/4 cup sour cream and stir

Add chicken mixture to the pasta...

and stir till it is all evenly coated
 
Pour pasta into a greased baking dish.  1 1/2 of the recipe is enough for an 8x8 freezer meal and a good size baking dish.  It probably would be enough for one 9x13 dish as well.

Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes

And now you are ready to dig in!!!  My sister decided I needed a better plate to display my finished product. :)  Thanks Tracie, I love my new plate!!!

Micah approves :)
 
 
Chicken Bow Tie Pasta
4 Tbs Butter
8 oz bow tie pasta
8 oz. shredded Colby Jack cheese
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 chicken bouillon cubes
6 oz chicken broth
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup flour

Cook pasta (in a large pot) in boiling water for about 10 minutes.  Drain and return to pot.  Add flour to a Ziploc bag, then add chicken and shake till all chicken is coated.  In a large skillet melt butter and add onion and chicken.  Cook chicken until it is browned and cooked through on both sides.  Add chicken broth, milk, bouillon cubes and sugar.  Cook for 5 minutes or until cubes are completely dissolved.  Add cheese.  Stir until melted.  Add sour cream and stir.  Pour sauce over pasta and stir until evenly coated.  Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment