Friday, August 23, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Oriental Chicken Salad

This is one of my absolutely favorite salads to make; well, actually to eat. :)  It is so delicious!  I usually don't make things that call for ingredients that I don't normally have on hand, but this one is so worth just getting the seasoned rice vinegar and corn oil and just having that on hand, I promise. :)  For the chicken I just cooked it in a pan on the stove with some olive oil and then seasoned it with chicken seasoning and pepper.  You can also bake it in the oven, just throw some salt and pepper on it and bake at 375 for about 35-45 minutes (until it reaches an inside temp of 180 degrees).  It's a great salad to take somewhere- it goes a long way.  Enjoy!

Ingredients: Lettuce, Cooked Chicken, Slivered Almonds, Green Onion, Sesame Seeds, Seasoned Rice Vinegar, Corn Oil, Salt, Pepper, Sugar, Top Ramen noodles

Shred the lettuce

Place in a bowl.  It makes a pretty good size salad and I was bringing dinner to a friend who just had twin girls, so I decided to put half in a bowl for us and half in a container to take along with dinner.

Next, chop up some green onions...

And put on top of lettuce

Add some slivered almonds...

2 Tablespoons of sesame seeds

Dice up the chicken...
 
and put on lettuce

For the sauce, in a bowl add 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of seasoned rice vinegar...

1/2 cup corn oil...

1/4 cup sugar...

1/2 teaspoon of salt...

and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (I used fresh ground)

Then stir it up really well until it is all combined
 

I split up the dressing into two little containers.  You don't want to put the dressing on until right before you're ready to serve it.

You also top this salad with Top Ramen Noodles but again, you don't want to put these on until right before you serve it.  But what you do want to do is crush up the noodles.

I split the noodles between two sandwich baggies and put them on top of the salad.  Our salad was also to go-we ate it while watching a car show.

I thought the salad turned out really cute (always a goal of cooking :)).  I just put the dressing right in with the salad, covered it with cling wrap, and put the directions right on there. 

Then when it was time to eat I put on the noodles, shook up the dressing really well and added it to the salad, tossed it up and there you go- yummy oriental chicken salad!  I seriously could eat this as a whole meal instead of just a side dish!

Micah is always a fan of eating outside!
 
Oriental Chicken Salad
Salad:
1 head of lettuce, shredded
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and diced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
2 green onions, diced
1 pkg Top Ramen noodles, crushed
Dressing:
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 cup corn oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
 
Combine all the salad ingredients except for the Top Ramen noodles.  Combine all the dressing ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Just before serving add the noodles and dressing, toss and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is such a good salad! One of my favorites...and I agree - I could have it for the main entree!!

    ReplyDelete