Friday, August 16, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Peach Pie- Fresh & Baked

Peaches are in bloom over here in West Michigan.  I went to the orchard and got a lot of peaches.  Steve wanted me to make a fresh peach pie like his mom makes.  It's a great pie, but you can't freeze it and since I had lots of peaches and didn't want to be eating peach pie for the next couple of weeks, I decided to also make some baked peach pies to put in the freezer.  So that's what you have below, 2 different peach pie recipes.  For the baked pie recipe I doubled it and it ended up making 3 pies (when I freeze pies I use disposable pie pans which are smaller than my glass pie pans so I usually end up getting more pies out of my recipes).  I find it's not usually all that much more work to make 3 pies and then you have a freezer full. :)  I linked my pie crust recipe everywhere it says pie crust to make it easy for you to find my blog on making pie crust :).  Enjoy!

Fresh Peach Pie
Ingredients: Baked Pie Crust, Peaches, Corn Starch, Light Corn Syrup, Peach Jell-O (3oz), Sugar

Peel and slice up peaches

To a saucepan add 1 cup of sugar...

1 cup of water...
 
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup...

And 3 Tablespoons cornstarch

Bring this to a boil...

Until thickened.  It will be transparent looking.

Remove from heat and add a 3oz package of Peach Jell-O (I accidentally got the big box so I had to measure out half of it, that's why it's coming out of a measuring cup :))

Stir until all combined.  It will now turn into a nice orange color

Add 1 quart of peaches ( I think I used about 10 small/medium peaches)

And mix until all combined with the syrup

Pour into a baked pie crust...

It needs to refrigerate for a few hours until cooled and thickened up.

Top with cool whip and enjoy!

Baked Peach Pie (this will make 3 pies)
Ingredients: Pie Crust, Peaches, Flour, Sugar, Cinnamon, Butter, Vanilla

To a big saucepan add 11 cups peeled and sliced peaches...

2 cups of sugar...

1/2 cup flour...

and 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Stir together and set aside until syrup forms

Then bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or until the peaches are tender, stirring often

Remove from heat and add 6 tablespoons of butter...

and 2 teaspoons of vanilla

Stir until all the butter is melted

Roll out 3 pie crusts

Fill with the pie filling

For the top roll out a pie crust and using a pizza cutter slice into 1/2 inch strips

Place 5 strips on one side of the pie and fold back

Then weave strips through those strips, alternating over and under

Until they look like this

Three pies all ready for the freezer.  I froze them and then covered and put them in a ziplock.

I had some extra peach slices so I decided to just throw them in a pan...

Sprinkle on some sugar...

And top with some apple crisp topping I had in my freezer

And now I also have a peach crisp in my freezer! 

I love having pies all ready to go in the freezer.  When you're ready to use one just thaw and then bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 and bake 25-30 more minutes or until crust is browned.
 
Fresh Peach Pie
1 quart peaches, peeled and sliced
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs light corn syrup
1 (3oz) pkg peach Jell-o
 
Boil sugar, water, cornstarch and corn syrup together until thickened.  Take off heat and add Jell-O.  Add peaches to syrup, combine and pour into the pie crust.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Top with cool whip.
 
Baked Peach Pie (This recipe is for 1 pie)
5 1/2 cups peeled, sliced fresh peaches
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tbs butter
1 tsp vanillas
 
Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; set side until syrup forms.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes or until peaches are tender, stirring often.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and vanilla, stir until butter is melted.  Roll out 1 of the pie crusts and place in pie pan.  Pour pie filling into crust.  Roll out the other pie crust.  Cut into 1/2 inch strips and arrange strips in a lattice design.  At this point you can either bake or freeze.  If freezing allow to cool and freeze before covering.  When ready to bake allow to thaw.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment