Friday, November 22, 2013

Fun Food Friday- Pumpkin Pie

One of my favorite parts of fall is pumpkin pie. :)  And when I worked at Providence Christian College the lady who ran the cafeteria did a pie baking class and I learned how to make the best pumpkin pie around.  To prove to you it's the best I'll share a funny story with you.  So a couple of years ago we decided to do a pie fundraiser for youth group for Thanksgiving.  So we were going to make pumpkin and apple pies.  To entice people to order them I made a couple of pies for them to sample after church.  So it's that day and I'm talking to a lady after church and her husband comes up to her and says "We have got to order one of these pumpkin pies, it's the best pumpkin pie I've ever had."  And she looked at him as said "I thought you liked my pumpkin pie." :)  And his response, "Um, no we have to order one of these." :)  Yeah, it was a little awkward standing there, but I had to agree with him, it is the best.  The lady from Providence told me it's because it uses both brown and white sugar.  Whatever the reason, you need to try this recipe.  And it's super easy to make.  So if you've been given the task of bring pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving dinner next week, try this one, you will not be disappointed.  And I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Ingredients: Unbaked Pie Crust, White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Flour, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Pumpkin, Eggs, Milk, and Salt (which I forgot to put in the picture :))

You will need 1 1/2 cups of warm milk, so start by heating it up in a microwave about 2 minutes

Add 3 eggs to a mixer bowl...

And beat

Then add 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar...

1/2 cup of white sugar

1 Tablespoon of flour...

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg...

1/2 teaspoon allspice...

1/2 teaspoon salt...

and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Mix together

Add one (15oz) can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, just pure pumpkin) (if you have a big can it's 1 1/2 cups)...

And the warm milk

Slowly mix all together.  The batter will be very liquidy.  I remember the first time I made it I thought it shouldn't be that consistency, but it should :)

Pour into an unbaked pie crust

You want to cover the crust with foil so it doesn't get burnt.  To do that get a long piece of foil and fold it in half lengthwise  Then tear it down that fold.  Fold one of those pieces in half again lengthwise...

And wrap around the crust





Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes...

Then bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until the filling is set.  To check if it's set give it a jiggle. :)  It won't be completely jiggle free if done, but you should be able to tell if it's set.  You can also stick a toothpick in the middle and see if it comes out clean.  When I bake my pumpkin pie in my glass pie pan it usually takes at least 60 minutes at 350 degrees but if I do it in a 9 inch tin pan, it's usually done at 50 minutes.
When it's done it will be puffed up...

But after cooling a little it will settle down.  Oh, that looks good :)

And that looks even better!  Got to have the cool whip on top. :)
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
 
Pumpkin Pie
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBS flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
15 oz can pumpkin (or 1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cup warm milk
 
To a mixer bowl add the beaten eggs, sugars, flour, nutmeg, allspice, salt and cinnamon.  Mix together.  Add the pumpkin and warm milk, mix until smooth.  Pour into the pie crust.  Cover the crust with foil.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then turn the oven down to 350 and bake for an additional 50-60 minutes or until the filling is set.  Cool.  Top with cool whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment