Friday, May 9, 2014

Fun Food Friday- BBQ Chicken Pizza

Something that has become somewhat of a Saturday night tradition around here (we usually do it every other week) is homemade pizza.  Micah loves to help me make it which is a lot of fun and I have found if he helps make the food he eats it much better.  I tried a lot of different pizza dough and after a little tweaking, this is the one we love.  The best part about homemade pizza is you can make it however you want.  I'm not a fan of pizza sauce, so I use olive oil and BBQ sauce.  Steve likes pizza sauce but doesn't like pineapple and onions.  So I would tell you if you want a really yummy pizza make it like my half, but Steve would say his is the best.  So you can decide how you want yours to be.  Another great thing about this pizza is it makes a big pizza, so we get it for 2 meals, which is why we like doing it on Saturday nights because then we have a really easy, quick meal for Sunday night after church. :)  The dough recipe is also very easy to double (or I do 1 1/2).  I bake mine on a pizza stone which I highly recommend, it makes the dough nice a crispy, but a pizza pan works too.  I've never baked it on a pizza pan, but I would think you would probably want to bake it at a lower temperature, maybe 400 degrees for a little longer.  So if you want a fun family activity, try pizza night.  You can also divide the dough into smaller pizzas and do personal pizzas.  Enjoy!
 
Pizza Crust Ingredients: Flour, Warm Water, Kosher Salt, Sugar, Yeast, Honey, Olive Oil

Sprinkle 1 1/2 tsp yeast on top of 3/4 cup warm water, allow to proof for 10 minutes

To a mixer bowl add 2 cups of flour...

1 Tablespoon of sugar...

1 tsp of Kosher salt (you can also use regular salt)...

Turn the mixer on and add 1 TBS of honey...

3 TBS of olive oil...

And the yeast mixture

Mix until a soft dough forms

Place the dough in a greased bowl...

Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for about an hour

Pizza Topping Ingredients: Cheese (I usually just use Mozzarella but I had this Italian Cheese pack so I used that this time), Pizza Sauce (for Steve's side), BBQ Sauce (for my side), Green Pepper, Onion, Chicken, Ham, Bacon, Pineapple

The dough is all ready to go. Now the fun begins

I made 1 1/2 recipes of the dough so the boys got 1/3 of the dough and Steve and I 2/3.  I'm not very good at rolling it out on the counter and then putting it on the pan, so I just roll it out right on the pizza stone.  Just put a little flour right on the stone (or pan).

Don't I have such a cute assistant? :)

Roll it out all the way to the edge...

And then roll the edges in to form a crust

For the boys pizza I just roll it out into a rectangle, it's just easier to cut their pizza into little pieces that way

I like to drizzle a little olive oil alone the crust...

And my half :)

Then spread it out with a brush...

And sprinkle some parmesan cheese on the edge

If you want pizza sauce (as Steve does), drizzle with pizza sauce

And use a spoon to spread it around (he takes his job very seriously)

Oh the concentration

Then go ahead an top with lots of cheese

See that bowl of pineapple over there, that is what Micah is stuffing into his mouth :)



After the cheese just put on your toppings.  Now if you want the really good pizza, here's what you put on: ham, pineapple, chicken, green peppers, onion, bacon- I promise, it's absolutely delicious!  Steve does those minus the onion and pineapple.  I think Micah's pizza was all of those except the chicken.  But the great thing about making your own pizza is you can just make it however you want

Then just drizzle on some BBQ sauce (Steve doesn't do that either)

Micah very excited for his pizza.  Bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes

And there is Steve & my pizza all baked

And the boys' pizza

David approves of the pizza Micah made for him

As does Jonathan

And of course Micah approves :)

Oh I love this pizza!

I realized I never take a picture of Steve eating our food, so here you go :)
 
 
BBQ Chicken Pizza
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees)
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 cups flour
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 TBS honey
3 TBS olive oil
Pizza Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese
Toppings: Chicken, Ham, Pineapple, Green Pepper, Onion, Bacon
BBQ Sauce
 
For the pizza dough, sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and allow to poof for 10 minutes.  In a mixer bowl add the flour, sugar and salt.  Turn the mixer on low and add the honey and olive oil.  Add the yeast/water mixture and mix until a soft dough forms.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.  Roll out the crust onto a pizza pan.  Roll up the edges to form a crust.  Drizzle olive oil along the crust, brush out, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.  Cover dough with pizza sauce (or olive oil if you don't like pizza sauce), cover that with cheese, then add your toppings.  Bake at 450 degrees for 18 minutes (if using a pizza stone, if using a pizza pan you will probably want to lower the temperature and bake for a little longer).


No comments:

Post a Comment