Friday, November 14, 2014

Fun Food Friday- CrockPot Philly Cheesesteaks

I found this healthier version of Philly Cheesesteaks and thought I'd give it a try and I was not disappointed.  It was super easy to make and tasted really good (obviously it's not going to taste as amazing as the authentic Philly Cheesesteak I had in Philadelphia, but it was still pretty good :)).  I used flank steak (I was able to find a bunch of flank steaks on sale so I grabbed them and stuck them in my freezer because it's not the cheapest steak).  You can also use beef tenderloin or whatever you have on hand or prefer.  But it's one of those meals that you get to throw in the crockpot and then forget about it for a couple of hours until dinner time, my kind of meal. :)  Enjoy!

Ingredients: Onions, Peppers (I used red and orange), Flank Steak, Garlic, Pepper (I ended up using steak seasoning instead), Worcestershire sauce, Beef Broth, Provolone Cheese Slices, Rolls (I had lots of leftover hot dog buns, so I just used those)

Slice the steak into thin slices

To the bottom of the crock pot add your peppers and onions.  My husband is not a fan of onions, so I left those out and just grilled them on the stovetop and added them at the end. 
*Note, I made this again since when I took these pictures and the second time I didn't add the vegetables until the last hour so they didn't get as soggy and I would recommend that

Add the steak

To make the sauce add 1/2 cup beef broth...

a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce...

2 teaspoons minced garlic...

1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning (or black pepper if you don't have steak seasoning)

Whisk it all together...

And pour over steak

Then just over it and let it cook for 6 hours on high or 3 hours on low

Place the meat on top of your rolls...

Here is where I added the onions

Top with cheese...

And place under a broiler for 2-3 minutes...

Until the cheese is melted and slightly browned

And there you have it.  We decided to do open faced sandwiches to maximize the amount of meat we got :), but you can also just put it on one side of the roll and eat it like a normal person :). 

The last time I made this I made extra so that the next night I could make a Philly Cheesesteak Pizza which was amazing!  I just made my pizza crust, rolled it out, drizzled on some olive oil, topped it with the meat and some more peppers and onions, sprinkled it with mozzarella cheese (you can also put the cheese on first, but I find if I sprinkle it on top I use a lot less cheese, making it slightly healthier :)) and baked at 450 degrees for 13-15 minutes, it was fabulous!  So just another option for you :)
 
Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak
1 medium onion, sliced
1 each red and orange pepper, sliced
1 pound flank steak trimmed and sliced thin
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp steak seasoning (or black pepper)
1/2 cup beef broth
provolone cheese slices
rolls
 
Place the sliced onions and peppers in the bottom of a crock pot (or if you want less soggy vegies don't add them until you have about an hour left of cooking time).  Lay the beef sliced on top of the vegetables.  Whisk together the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and broth and pour over steak.  Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 3 hours.  Preheat oven to broil.  Place steak, peppers and onions on roll, top with cheese and broil for 2 minutes.
 
*This also makes a wonderful topping on pizza!


No comments:

Post a Comment