Friday, November 21, 2014

Fun Food Friday- Thanksgiving ideas & Cream Turkey

It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is already next week!  Then again, I'm surround by about 2 feet of snow so really it seems like it should be Christmas :).  I thought I'd remind you of some of the recipes I've shared on here in case you're in charge of that part of Thanksgiving dinner and need some ideas for a recipe:

 
 
 
And then if you need an idea for what to do with that leftover turkey, that same grandma that taught me how to make the most amazing stuffing also makes the most amazing Cream Turkey!  I got her cream turkey recipe from an email she sent my mom back in 1999. :)  Of course her way of telling my mom how to make it was add a little of this and that and see how it looks. :)  So I've tried it out a couple of time and I think I've come up with the correct amount of ingredients, at least it works for me. :) For the turkey gravy what I did was I put my leftover gravy in an ice cube tray and froze it, then took the cubes out and put 3 each in a bag to use later for my cream turkey.  If you don't want to do that you can always just buy a can of turkey gravy or skip it and use butter instead, but it really does add some yummy flavor to it.  So make sure to grab some of that leftover turkey and try this dish out, it's just delicious!

Ingredients: Turkey, Butter, Turkey Gravy, Onions, Celery, Chicken Broth, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Cream of Celery, Flour

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a sauce pan and add the celery...

and onions

Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally

Add in 3 tablespoons of gravy
 
Stir it around until the gravy thaws

Sprinkle in 2 heaping tablespoons of flour...

Stir and cook for a minute

Add in 1/2 cup broth and 1 cup milk

Stir until the flour mixture dissolves and cook until the liquid thickens

Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt...

and 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Add one can of cream of celery

Stir it all together

Add 4-5 cups of shredded turkey (mine had been in the freezer and the nice thing is you don't need to thaw it ahead of time because it thaws really fast when you put it in the hot cream. :)

Then just stir it all together and let it get nice and hot.

Oh that is one good looking sandwich and you'll just have to take my word that it was also incredibly delicious to eat! :)
 
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!
 
Cream Turkey
1 TBS butter
1 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 TBS turkey gravy
2 heaping TBS flour
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium, if you use regular reduce the amount of salt)
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can Cream of Celery
4-5 cups shredded turkey
 
In a saucepan melt butter, add celery and onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add gravy and mix together.  Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add broth and milk and stir until flour mixture is dissolved.  Cook until liquid thickens, stirring occasionally.  Add salt and pepper, stir.  Add Cream of Celery, stir until all combined.  Mix in turkey and allow to heat for a couple more minutes.  Serve on rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment