Friday, March 28, 2014

Fun Food Friday- Baked Potato Casserole- Gluten Free

We are trying to eat a little healthier over here.  Well, I should say I am trying to eat a little healthier and since I'm the cook, the rest get to too. :)  I wouldn't go so far to say these potatoes are healthy :), but they're a little better for you than the mashed potatoes I make because they don't have any butter in them.  But they are full of flavor from the turkey bacon and green onion.  And oh my goodness do these leftovers make amazing Baked Potato Soup!  So I make a big batch of these potatoes as a side and then use the leftovers in place of the baked potatoes in my soup recipe (you also then don't put as much sour cream and cheese in the soup since there's already some in the casserole).  It's absolutely delicious :).  So the great thing is you get two yummy dishes when you make these. :)  To make it on the lighter side I used turkey bacon, 2% evaporated milk and light sour cream.  Enjoy!

Ingredients: Potatoes, Cheese, Bacon (I used Turkey), Sour Cream, Evaporated Milk, Salt & Pepper, Green Onion

Peel and dice the potatoes
 
Cover them with water and bring to boil.  Boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender

In the meantime cook the bacon...
 
And chop it up

And dice up the green onion

When the potatoes are done drain them and add 1 cup of evaporated milk...

1/2 a cup of sour cream

1 tsp of salt...

And 1/2 tsp of pepper

Beat with a hand-held mixer until nice and smooth

Add 1 1/2 cup cheese

And the bacon (I used 6 slices of turkey bacon)

Stir together until all combined and the cheese melts

Place into a greased casserole dish
(I should have used the next size dish, this one was very full and it puffs up a bit :))
 
I had a few helpers for this dish: 




Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes

Stir it...

Then top with green onions (notice I only put it on half the potatoes because my silly husband is not a fan of green onions)

If you want you can also top it with some more cheese, but we were trying to make it not so terrible for you, so we didn't :)
 
There you go, yummy baked potato casserole.  It went great with Cauliflower-Cashew Salad and Turkey Meatloaf Muffins 

Micah's a fan
 
As were the twins
 
Baked Potato Casserole
8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
6 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and diced
Sliced Green Onions
 
Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil.  Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.  Drain potatoes and return to pan.  Add evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper.  Beat with a hand-held mixer until smooth.  Stir in cheese and bacon.  Place in a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Top with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment